Some users have reported on forums that the Windows Firewall has disabled some of the app’s functionality and that the notice keeps appearing on a frequent basis.
That notification box appears whenever people launch the specified program (which generally needs a network connection), such as Chrome, iTunes, Spotify, Kodi, Edge, and so on.
It is not an error message, however, some users want the removal of the firewall notice that appears on a regular basis. These are some possible solutions to the Windows Firewall that has blocked some functionality errors.
1. Check for Malware
The Windows Firewall has restricted several features, which might be caused by malware that changes firewall settings. As a result, it may be worthwhile to perform a malware check.
There are several excellent antivirus applications available that provide powerful protection on your PC, keeping malware and other cyber dangers at bay 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
You may benefit from sophisticated anti-malware programs that offer comprehensive scans and high detection rates of invasive malware if you use the right software.
Furthermore, antivirus software will totally secure your machine, including surfing security and gaming modes. As a result, we recommend that you use the finest antivirus software available today.
2. Open the Windows Firewall Troubleshooter.
To begin, use the Windows Firewall Troubleshooter for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, and 7. This is a troubleshooter that can repair a variety of WF issues.
The troubleshooter is not included in Windows 10, but it is available for download from this website. Open the troubleshooter from the location where you stored it, and then click Advanced to enable the Apply repairs automatically option.
Then select Next to proceed with the troubleshooter.
3. Disable the Windows Firewall.
- Using the Windows key + R, launch Run.
- Enter Control Panel into the Run text box and press the OK button.
- Then, in the Control Panel’s search box, type firewall and click Windows Defender Firewall to see further possibilities.
- To view the choices indicated right below, click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Select both the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall and OK choices, then click the OK button.
- Install one of the third-party firewall options listed in this article on your computer.
Turning off the firewall may be one of the simplest strategies for preventing the WF notice from appearing.
You don’t have to use the Windows Defender Firewall since you may use a third-party option instead. This is how you disable the Windows Defender Firewall.
4. Allow Software to Pass Through the Firewall
- Cortana’s Type here to search taskbar button should be pressed.
- In the search box, type in ‘firewall.’
- Then choose to Allow an app to run across Windows Firewall.
- To change the parameters, click the Change settings button.
- Select both checkboxes for the program on the Allowed applications list for which the “Windows Firewall has blocked some functionality” message continues appearing.
- Then press the OK button.
Some elements of this app alert window have been restricted by the Windows Firewall, which demands that you let an app via the firewall.
However, you may still need to let an app over the firewall using the Windows Defender Firewall settings to guarantee that the notice does not appear for specific software.
5. Deactivate Network Adapters
- To open the window below, type ‘devmgmt.msc’ into Run and press the Return key.
- Select Network adapters to extend the device category, as seen below.
- Disable your VPN network adapter by right-clicking it.
- Whether you are unsure which network adapter is the VPN adapter, simply disable each network adapter one at a time to check if the Windows Firewall notice is resolved.
If you want to preserve the VPN software, disable the VPN’s network adapter in Device Manager. Some users have confirmed that deactivating a network device cured the problem.
6. Remove VPN software and extensions.
The Windows Firewall has restricted some functionality, and the error might potentially be caused by VPN client software and extensions.
If you’ve installed a VPN client, deleting it may resolve the problem. In addition, see if your browser has any VPN extensions active.
One simple solution is to have a dedicated uninstaller that will delete any software from your PC, even extensions.
So, if you want to locate extremely efficient uninstallers that can completely remove your VPN along with all of its related files, you may choose one of the top uninstaller software for Windows 10.
7. Restore the Firewall to its Default Configuration
- Navigate to the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel’s search box, type ‘firewall,’ and then click Windows Defender Firewall.
- To open the choices given below, click Restore Defaults.
- Then click the Restore Defaults option.
- A popup titled Restore Defaults Confirmation will appear. To restore the default settings, choose Yes in the popup box.
One or more of the options listed above will most likely prevent the “Windows Firewall has blocked certain functionality” message from appearing.