Mendeley is a free reference manager and academic social network. Make your own fully-searchable library in seconds, cite as you write, and read and annotate your PDFs on any device.
Install the Plugin
- Close all Word documents
- Click on Tools
- Click on “Install MS Word Plugin”
- Open Word and Insert your cursor where you want your citation to appear.
- If using a Windows device, Click the “references” tab and select “insert citation” in the “Mendeley Cite-O-Matic” section.
3. If using a Mac and Microsoft Word, Mendeley lives in the ‘References’ tab. Select “Insert or Edit Citation”.
4. Search for the reference you want, select it, and press OK.
Create a bibliography
- Put your cursor where you want the bibliography to begin
- If using a Windows device, click the “references” tab and select “insert bibliography” in the “Mendeley Cite-O-Matic” section.
- If using a Mac, click the ‘Add-Ins” tab and select “insert bibliography”.
Change your Citation Style
- If using a Windows device, click the “references” tab and click the down arrow next to the “style” field in the “Mendeley Cite-O-Matic” section. If using a Mac device, click the “Add-Ins” tab and select “Choose Citation Style”
- Select the style you want and the references in your document will now reflect your new style.
- If the style you want is not listed here, select the “more styles” option at the bottom, and from the ‘installed styles’ tab, select your style and click “use this style”.
- If the style you want is not installed, click the ‘get more styles’ tab, search for the style you need, select it and click ‘install’. The style is now available for you to use in your document.
Video Tutorial From Mendeley: