WordPress is an application that allows you to easily build websites and publish content online. It was founded in 2003 and has since evolved to become the world’s most popular website building platform.
WordPress began as a simple blog platform, but it quickly evolved into a more feature-rich Content Management System (CMS).
The software is written in the PHP scripting language. Although MySQL is the most common database, some website owners prefer to utilize an alternate option such as MariaDB or SQLite.
The software allows anyone, regardless of their technical experience, to quickly create professional looking websites using a user-friendly administration area. Here are a few examples of the types of websites that may be created with WordPress:
- Blogs – A website dedicated to sharing ideas, photographs, reviews, tutorials, recipes, and other content.
- E-commerce website – A website that enables you to sell products or services online and receive money using a secure online payment system.
- Business website – WordPress is a wonderful alternative for your business if you need a website for customers to learn about your company and what you have to offer. Customers can get in touch with you, request a price, make an appointment, and much more.
- Portfolio website – Show off your artwork, design skills and more with a portfolio website built on WordPress.
- Event website – WordPress makes it easy for you to share your event details and sell tickets.
WordPress Themes & Plugins
The built-in templates in WordPress allows you to change the appearance and feel of your website in a matter of seconds. These template designs, often known as WordPress themes, have the ability to dramatically transform your website.
WordPress also has plugin architecture that allows you to plug in additional code to your website. This is why the possibilities with WordPress are limitless.
- SEO – Search Engine Optimization (SEO) begins at a technical level and WordPress delivers an exceptional code base for SEO. SEO allows your website’s content to be found via common search engines such as Google or Bing.
- Easy-to-use user interface – WordPress is very easy to use with no complicated settings. If you can use a WordPress processor, you can use WordPress. WordPress also has a focus on accessibility.
- Mobile-friendly – Most WordPress themes are now mobile-friendly or responsive out-of-the-box.
To host WordPress yourself, you need to do three things:
- Purchase a domain name
- Purchase a hosting package
- The WordPress software installed on your website